Jazz Workshop “Classic Jazz & Bossa Nova” from Monday 04.03. to Saturday 09.03.2024 (4th edition)
Location: Hotel Apollo Terme, MonteGrotto (near Padua and near Venice), Italy
Relax-, SPA-, Therme- and Wellness-Hotel (heated pools); in addition to SPA: medical treatments
Fotos of earlier workshops and of hotel: see picture gallery
List of available docents (availability depends on number of participants in the workshop; but all instruments will be reached in each workshop)
- Henrique Gomide (instruments: piano, percussion; teaching: solo training for piano; improvisation and rhythm training for all, comping training for piano, guitar, and for all percussion instruments)
- Lea Stefani (piano, violin and cello, theory, improvisation training, comping training)
- Daniel Edelberg (saxophones, guitar, improvisation training)
- Kristine Cirule (vocals, piano, improvisation training, theory, ear training)
- José J. Cortijo (percussion)
- Marcus Rieck (drums, comping training for drummers)
- Bernd J. Kröger (double bass, electric bass fretted and fretless, theory)
- Thomas Heck (saxophone, brass, vocals), see docents
- Nicola Lombardi (piano, saxophone), see docents
- Antonio Paone (guitar, improvisation training, comping training), see docents
- teaching languages: mainly German and English
Features of the workshop:
- All instruments and vocalists are welcome! There will be training classes for all instruments/voices
- Combos (afternoon) are organized in jazz-typical formations as trios, quartets or quintets.
- The workshop is designed for jazz amateurs up to semi professionals and for music teachers. But you can also particpate and profit from the workshop if you are a beginner in jazz if you already are practicing your instrument for a few years in other music styles (e.g., classical music)
- Each instrument/vocal class is layed out for 4 participants. Maximum number of participants per class is six.
- band training: each participant has the chance to participate in a band for learning to play together with others in an jazz ensemble
- instrument/vocal and improvisation training: improving your skills on your instument/voc: this takes place within a group but we will focus on each participant for a part of the time and on his individual questions
- theory and ear training: improving your knowledge on chords, chord progressions, scales etc. and improving your perceptual skills
- rhythm training: improving your rhythm skills in basic rhythms in Jazz and in Brazilian Music
Schedule: (changes may be possible)
- First meeting: Monday, 04.03.2024, 18.30 in lobby of Hotel Apollo; first jam session is starting at 21.00 (always following dinner)
- daily teaching:
- 09.00-10.15: Theory, ear, and/or improvisation training (plenary session); basics skills like: intervals, chord progressions, scales, etc.
- 10.30-11.45: Instrumental classes / vocal class (parallel sessions): improving instrumental or vocal skills and improving your skills in jazz improvisation
- 12.00-12.30 and 15.30-18.00: Band training / Combo training (parallel sessions); combos will be reorganized each day or each second day in order to allow you to interact with several docents as combo coaches and in order to allow you to interact and to communicate with many other workshop participants.
- daily JamSession: 21.00-00.30
- last morning (Saturday): 9.00-10.00: Meeting: What was great and what should be better next year and farewell
Costs for workshop participation (workshop fee):
- Booking earlier than 01.02.2024: 490 Euros; later: 540 Euros
- Room booking directly via email with the hotel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application for participation in this JazzWorkshop:
Please write an email to Bernd J. Kröger ( bjkroeger AT gmail DOT com )
Please give the following information:
- Last name, first name
- Street, house number, postal code, name of city, name of country
- your instrument
- number of years of instrument training (not necessarily jazz)
We will answer on your email within 2 days
- 01.02.2024: ending of normal rate for workshop fee: 490 euros; later: 540 Euros
- 01.02.2024: ending of flat rate room booking in Hotel Apollo Terme (about 600 euros for 5 nights including full board; rates for 2024); later: normal room rates
Booking of hotel room: directly via email to Hotel Apollo (email@example.com), in order to get the workshop room flat rate … (to get an impression about rooms go to hotel web page: Hotel Apollo Terme)
Workshop room flat rate for hotel stay: 5 nights including full board: single/double-room without/with accompanying person: about 650/1100 Euros (rates from 2023)
A sight seeing program for accompanying partners will be organized by Birgit Kröger (visit of the Euganean Hills nearby, visit of Padua, Verona, Venice, Treviso with its Prosecco Hills etc. on demand); for accompanying persons as well as for workshop participants the SPA of the Hotel offers several treatment-, beauty- and wellness-packages.
Meals (lunch and dinner) are served in a sequence of four courses and take about 60 minutes. It is possible to skip lunch and/or dinner if you want or if you need more time for yourself. Breakfast is self service.
Refunding of workshop fee in case of cancelation: year before workshop: up to 1.10.: full refund; up to 15.10.: 490 Euros; up to 1.11.: 390 Euros; up to 15.11.: 290 Euros; up to 1.12.: 190 Euros; up to 15.12.: 90 Euros; paying workshop fee in year of workshop: no refund. Refund for room booking fee is different and is regulated by hotel.
Place of jurisdiction: Eupen, Belgium
Teaching handouts (for participants only): H01 H02 H03
Lists of many songs reflecting the workshop genres: W01 W02 W03 W04 W05. Select and prepare two of these songs; Or: just prepare your personal most favourite songs.
Foto of Hotel Apollo Terme (terme pools):