Jazz Workshop “Classic Jazz & Bossa Nova” from Monday 06.03. to Saturday 11.03.2023 (3rd edition)
Aktuell: Der Workshop 2023 ist auf Deutsch; es kommen drei Combos zustande! Es sind noch Restplätze in allen Klassen frei.
Aktuell: Es gibt insbesondere noch einen freien Platz für Kontrabass/eBass zu ermäßigter Teilnahmegebühr! (ein verfügbares Instrument ist vor Ort).
Location: Hotel Apollo Terme, MonteGrotto (near Padua and near Venice), Italy
Relax-, SPA-, Therme- and Wellness-Hotel (heated pools); in addition to SPA: medical treatments
Fotos of earlier workshops and of hotel: see picture gallery
List of docents (availability depends on number of participants in the workshop; but all instruments will be taught in each workshop)
- Henrique Gomide (instruments: piano, percussion; teaching: solo training for piano; improvisation and rhythm training for all, comping training for piano, guitar, and for all percussion instruments),
- Thomas Heck (saxophones, flute, improvisation training)
- Daniel Edelberg (saxophones, guitar, improvisation training), see docents
- Kristine Cirule (vocals, piano, improvisation training, theory, ear training), see docents
- Lea Stefani (piano, violin and cello, theory, improvisation training, comping training), see docents
- Klaus Desch (piano, improvisation training, comping training), see docents
- Sandro Gibellini (guitar, improvisation training, comping training), see docents
- new (planned for 2024) : José J. Cortijo (percussion)
- Bernd J. Kröger (double bass, electric bass fretted and fretless, theory)
- further docents for brass instruments, drums, percussion, … are invited.
- teaching languages: mainly German and English
Features of the workshop:
- All instruments and vocalists are welcome! There will be training classes for all instruments/voices
- The workshop is designed for jazz amateurs up to semi professionals and for music teachers. But you can also particpate and profit from the workshop if you are a beginner in jazz if you already are practicing your instrument for a few years in other music styles (e.g., classical music)
- Each instrument/vocal class is layed out for 4 participants.
- band training: each participant has the chance to participate in a band for learning to play together with others in an jazz ensemble
- instrument/vocal and improvisation training: improving your skills on your instument/voc: this takes place within a group but we will focus on each participant for a part of the time and on his individual questions
- theory and ear training: improving your knowledge on chords, chord progressions, scales etc. and improving your perceptual skills
- rhythm training: improving your rhythm skills in basic rhythms in Jazz and in Brazilian Music
Schedule: (changes may be possible)
- First meeting: Monday, 06.03.2023, 18.30 in lobby of Hotel Apollo; first jam session is starting at 21.00 (always following dinner)
- daily teaching:
- 09.00-10.15: Theory, ear, and/or improvisation training (plenary session); basics skills like: intervals, chord progressions, scales, etc.
- 10.30-11.45: Instrumental classes / vocal class (parallel sessions): improving instrumental or vocal skills and improving your skills in jazz improvisation
- 12.00-12.30 and 15.00-18.00: Band training / Combo training (parallel sessions)
- daily JamSession: 21.00-00.30
- last morning (Saturday): 9.00-10.00: Meeting: What was great and what should be better next year and farewell
There are two different options for your workshop participation:
- Standard instrumental or vocal class: fee: 490 Euros
- ‘Jam session only’ mode: fee: 290 Euros (active participation only in the jam sessions taking place daily after dinner!)
Application for participation in this JazzWorkshop:
Please write an email to Bernd J. Kröger ( bjkroeger AT gmail DOT com )
Please give the following information:
- Last name, first name
- Street, house number, postal code, name of city, name of country
- your instrument
- number of years of instrument training (not necessarily jazz)
- Please choose between two options:
- I like to be participant of a standard class
- I like to be participant of the jam sessions only (no active participation in other workshop meetings)
We will answer on your email within 2 days
- Before 05.01.2023: Reservation of place for full participation in an instrument/vocal class: pay 290 Euros now as part of the workshop participation fee; this should be done as early as possible; especially the piano and saxophone class may be fully booked already in october.
- Before 15.01.2023: Booking of place for full participation by paying the rest of the workshop fee (200 Euros) OR booking of a place for participation in the ‘jam session only’ mode by paying 290 Euros
- Room booking in Hotel Apollo Terme should be done early in order to get the workshop flat rate (see below).
Booking of hotel room: directly via email to Hotel Apollo (firstname.lastname@example.org), in order to get the workshop rate … (to get an impression about rooms go to hotel web page: Hotel Apollo Terme)
Workshop rate for hotel stay: 5 nights including full board: single/double-room without/with accompanying person: about 600/1100 Euros
Place of jurisdiction: Eupen, Belgium
Foto of Hotel Apollo Terme (therme pools):